Fit Note Analysis
In December 2020, NHS Digital published an analysis of GP fit notes, formerly known as ‘sick notes’.
Key Facts England, April – December 2020
- 10.1% of fit notes were issued for mental and behavioural disorders, making it the most common reason for fit notes. 21.5% of these were issued for over 12 weeks, 38.1% for 5-12 weeks and 38.6% for 1-4 weeks.
- The second most common reason for fit notes was less than half of how many were issued for mental and behavioural disorders, being diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue at 4.5%.
- 94.3% of fit notes issued for mental and behavioural disorders were classified as ‘not fit for work’, with the remaining 5.7% classified as ‘may be fit for work’